- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1.5 litres / 2½ pints Chicken or vegetable stock (homemade or use stock cubes)
- 100g / 3½ oz Pearl barley
- 1 medium/large onion chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed top and bottom
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into smallish pieces
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks of thyme choped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt, black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
- Bread - your choice!
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and leeks and cook, stirring, over a medium heat, for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the wine now along with the parsnips, celery, carrots and potato and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour your stock into the saucepan with the vegetables and bring to the boil, adding the tomato puree and bay leaves to complete the soup. then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
4. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then stir in the parsley an thyme.
5. Transfer to warmed bowls. Serve with your bread.
6. Eat and enjoy!