An essential herb you should have available to you is bay (Laurus nobilis) it is an easily available plant to buy but if you want to grow your own heres how!
- Take a heel cutting, a fresh shoot or tip in early summer or in the autumn. Cut from a mature bay tree don't be tempted to take one from a young plant. The cutting should be about 8cm (3") long.
- Strip off the upper and lower leaves from the cutting.
- Dip the intended root end into a cutting rooting hormone powder. This will stimulate vigorous root growth.
- Put the cutting into a small pot filled with two-thirds coarse sand and one-third good quality multi-purpose compost.
- Put the container under a plastic bag hanging over wire or similar to keep it from touching or landing on the cutting. This creates a mini-greenhouse for the cutting.
- Be patient. It will take around 9 months for the cutting to root.